Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rescuebook

Technology is extraordinary. The level of communication made possible today by technology is unprecedented. This ability is also available for people with extreme disability (I wrote this purely with eye movement to distribute to the world...).

Part of the explosion of communication technology is the invention of social media. This especially has allowed people like myself who were previously called "shut-ins" to virtually travel around the world and socialize. The benefit has already helped PALS.

Tonight the social media giant Facebook helped save the life of another PALS. I was watching TV with my caretaker when a PALS messaged me on Facebook saying her caretaker wasn't answering her alarm and asking me to call her house phone to alert the caretaker. I could have called using my web-based Google Phone but asked my caretaker to use my house phone to call. We were one of a few others calling, but in the end the caretaker was alerted and the PALS' needs were met.

Technology rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment